Originally Posted by blackcat
Can someone clarify for me what is meant by vision problems with EDS. Is it a problem with tracking moving objects and covergence/divergence, and depth perception? If I put a pencil in front of his face and move it slowly back and forth he has to put a great deal of effort into moving his eyes, literally can't keep his head from turning, and he screws up his mouth with the great effort of it. If an object is placed in the periphery, he can't find it without difficulty.

Yes, this. Strabismus is common in people with EDS. My son has intermittent convergent strabismus and he has these exact symptoms. He has a great deal of trouble tracking. He's gotten much better with VT and OT but is still pretty resistant to heavily based vision tasks (particularly those involving scanning and tracking) - depending on how tired he is. Obviously, people also have this and do not have EDS but it is common in persons with EDS because the condition is affecting the tissues and muscles in the eyes (my understanding).

Last edited by Irena; 09/06/13 03:27 PM.