Originally Posted by blackcat
Also, I'm not sure what to ask for in terms of the giftedness. The neuropsych wrote in the report that it should be addressed by the school. What would they do with a kid who can understand long division, but has motor skills like a preschooler. A kid who can read 4th grade level chapter books, but can't write a report about the book or draw a picture? I think grade or subject acceleration would be completely inappropriate, but that's all the district offers for K-2nd.

This is where we are now. I spent all last year getting to the bottom of my DS's issues (Btw, my son has the same visual problem as your son and not until I saw the connective tissue doc was I told that vision problem is very much a result of and co-morbid with ehlers danlos) and getting accommodations in school and help. My goal this year is to get the gifted part of him addressed. In our case, the school offers enrichment, pull-out gifted program starting in 2nd grade that I think will be good for my son. Now, I have to get him despite the the impact his ehlers danlos has on his WISC scores (processing speed and coding is deplorably low and pulls down his FSIQ), his vision issue affcts the picture completion/picture concepts subtest which pulled down his PRI but his other tests were all very high and his VCI is a 132. His acheivement tests (both math and reading are now well-above grade level; math allegedly two full grade levels above). So, we'll see.

ETA: the school can not discriminate and keep your son (or mine) out of gifted programs, enrichment, advancement, etc. based on his disability. So, for example, all of my son's accommodations will be provided whether he is doing regular classwork, enrichment work, gifted class/program etc.

Last edited by Irena; 09/06/13 12:14 PM.