Originally Posted by CCN
Originally Posted by 1111
Had one of these parents in regards to my PG son. She would be right in my face with questions like "what is he doing, what do you do to get him to do all this".

This reminds me of an afternoon back when DD was 3 and we were visiting a friend with her 3 year old son. She asked me to teach him how to read.

(I actually tried! What an eye opening afternoon that was for me)

I had a couple of parents ask how I got my son reading at age 2-1/2. I did a couple of things that are nice for kids of any ability. I created a print-rich environment and got a copy of Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook and did what it said.

But in the end, with my son, he just started reading when I started reading and I didn't make it happen any sooner than it was going to. I remember one brief moment of feeling sad (?) when I knew he could decode whole sentences without help from me and he wouldn't need phonics help.

I volunteer in son's first grade class during reading and writing. I am quietly amazed by all the different reading levels and the kids who need sound by sound support for the same words one or two pages later.