But... in parenting circles, not handling this type well can turn around to bite you, too-- because all the other competitive parents would also just love to know about your PG child in greater detail so that they could hate you both, too.

Do you really care if competitive people hate you? If you're sure the other parent isn't just worried that their child is behind (I usually laughingly say "don't worry, that's not normal"), then why would you want someone in your life who's going to be either thinking you're boasting or boasting themselves. Or they'd be making notes on where you bought your shoes or the square footage of your house or something equally silly.

I do just say pass the salt / how about this weather if I end up in conversation with someone like that. Luckily, I really don't know any hothousers. Some acquaintances, but I just avoid them, really.

(I'm trying to avoid using the term Tiger Mom after realising how hard it is for non-hothousing asian mothers of gifted kids to overcome the stereotype)