Originally Posted by squishys
I am amazed that anyone receives any judgement about their gifted child in America. You seem to have fantastic support and education for your kids. In Australia, we have nothing. I would think that parents would be used to gifted kids by now in your country.
I'm not sure about this. The main thing that I've seen in the US with, as you mention, the focus and support for the education of gifted kids, is the assumption that "gifted" is not an innate difference in a person, but rather something that we have developed through proper education or parenting. It has tended to lead to a lot of competition: "little Johnny got into the gifted program," or it reflects positively on me as a parent that my kid is gifted, for instance.

If you look at our national organization dedicated to the education of gifted kids, the NAGC, they currently subscribe to a talent development model of giftedness. One of their publications on their website talks about this in a manner that, to me at least, makes it sound like we can "make" kids gifted through our interactions with them:

Gagne's research (1985, 1993) and model for talent development explicitly set the stage for a focus on talents. He proposed an underlying set of aptitudes or gifts that are intellectual, creative, socio-affective, perceptual-motor, and other unspecified abilities. With these basic abilities the child interacts with catalysts such as teachers or parents and participates in learning, training, and practice experiences. With encouragement and support, a child's talents emerge from these experiences.
emphasis mine
http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=164