Bingo, QT3.

But... in parenting circles, not handling this type well can turn around to bite you, too-- because all the other competitive parents would also just love to know about your PG child in greater detail so that they could hate you both, too.

{sigh}

I try to gently steer AWAY from my DD, often by recalling what it was like to get my own 2yo off of some thing she was determined to get into and shouldn't for her own good.

Yes, that is patronizing, but honestly, it gives me the patience to smile and say for the tenth time in twenty minutes... Ohhh, she's doing fine/her thing/you know/etc. (vague info)

I try to get them talking about THEIR child-- and to be complimentary and interested.

Sometimes I'll make a pointed comment about kids all following their own schedule, etc.

I've also gone so far as to point out that having DD means that NO school actually knows what to do with her-- and that we'd LOVE to have a child that was so successful in school, shouldn't compare to DD (the 'freak of nature' monologue, I call that).

Sometimes I'll take the passive aggressive but humor-driven approach.

"When your elementary-aged child squeals with delight over used college textbooks and disappears into her room for the next three days... and just grins for a few minutes over 'Disneyland' you know you have a bit of a problem..."

I kind of embrace the "my kid is a freak" persona in situations like this. It's not lying, exactly, but it is selective for me to point out the downsides to having a PG kiddo while downplaying the really cool aspects.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 05/12/13 12:59 PM. Reason: clarity

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.