What a lot for you to process, Moomin, although it's more like the other shoe dropping than not knowing a shoe might drop. When we've battled with the school and gone through the testing, I think we're already somewhat prepared for the fact that the news is going to be a mixed bag.

On the bright side, if there are executive functioning issues, they don't seem to be intense enough to deeply dampen her scores. My kiddo's came out so low on one test that the neuropsych tried to tell me I should prepare him for manual labor-type careers - and then wondered why I reacted the way I did.

In all of this, I think the thing I come back to is that she's five and has only had a handful of years on this earth to figure out how to cope with a world that is often very much at odds with the way she thinks and feels and processes information. I think the suggestion for therapies is probably very spot on. And time does have a way of buffering; what may seem insurmountable to you now may be old hat in a few years.

I let my kiddo have a lot of Yellow Bus Fever days when he was in his early years of elementary school (as in the "fever" passed when the yellow bus passed by). While our kids need to be taught routine and responsibility and all those excellent traits kids learn by being in school, sometimes it is just too much to expect kids with 2e issues and who are in a poorly matched environment to cope all day every day. I found when I let him stay home on days that he was overwhelmed, he was able to do better on the days he was there. It can bite you if you don't negotiate agreements, though - I always negotiated a commitment about going the next day if I let him stay. He knew he had to live up to the bargain or the vacation days would end.