Originally Posted by moomin
Originally Posted by polarbear
he things that the NEPSY score was low due to "lack of context." He asked the same question in a slightly different way (based on a narrative, rather than a open-ended question), and dd scored a 19. He thinks that it has to do with the open-ended nature of the question rather than a EF deficiency.

That could very well be what's going on - our EG ds has a HUGE challenge with open-ended questions.

It was the timed calculations test, and dd simply refused to begin. she looked at the page with 30 problems and said, "I don't know how to do #1. Which was OBVIOUSLY not true as she had just done the same problem on a previous subtest and got it right. Yes, it was the last test in a two hour session. Nonetheless, the neuropsych believes that this points to an issue with maladaptive perfectionism stemming from dd's anxiety.

Maybe, but a small part of me wonders if it might not also be simply because she's 5 (I think she's 5, sorry if I got her age wrong!)...

Re anxiety, two of my children have had really severe anxiety when they were around the same age - in each case the anxiety wasn't primary, it was secondary to something else. It doesn't have to be secondary to a 2e challenge - it's possible the anxiety could be due to environmental stressors and also learning to adapt in a world where people might not think in exactly the same way your dd does. No matter what the cause, of course she needs help with it at the moment... but if it's any encuoragement at all - for both of my kids, once the primary issue was accommodated/removed/etc - the anxiety disappeared. My ds is still prone to anxiety when he's stressed, but my dd otoh, is a very very mellow child and sails through life without worries. I *never* would have guessed she'd be like that back when she was 5 years old and we were having to drag her screaming and kicking just to get her into a new situation.

quote]
Originally Posted by polarbear
Her teachers are not psychiatrists/psychologists/medical drs/etc. They are teachers. They are seeing a little girl who's clearly having challenges at school, and that's going to be reflected in the surveys they are given as part of a neuropsych eval. I think what you have to do at this point is simply acknowledge something is up, and it's not clear, and the teacher/caregiver input *is* all over the place at this point. It doesn't point in one specific direction, but it indicates your dd needs help.

Exactly, and the most confounding part is the degree to which there was no agreement among respondents. To one teacher she was ADHD, to another Autistic, to another ODD, and so forth.

I suspect the reason each teacher thought they saw a different diagnosis is due in large part to the fact they are teachers, not psychs trained in diagnosis. We've experienced some of the same thing, and what's happened with us is the teacher who has seen a lot of kids with ADHD diagnosis picks up on the symptoms that might be ADHD related (or look like it), and the counselor who has a large percentage of clients on the autism spectrum picked up on symptoms that might overlap with ASD diagnosis etc - so everyone who doesn't have the full expertise to diagnose is seeing what they know and extrapolating that to a suspected diagnosis.

polarbear