The tenor of the entire report is that dd has myriad maladaptive coping strategies that look totally different in different contexts, but which all stem from anxiety.

We're sort of moving in this direction with DD. There is an additional complexity with her, and perhaps your DD is the same, in that she frequently does not volunteer her actual concerns unless painstakingly and lovingly prodded to do so. Also, she does not usually "look" anxious in the sense that I conceptualize anxiety, which is a child who is shaking, crying, and refusing to approach.

For instance, the other day she was being a royal PITA about an arrangement we had made to switch cars so that she would ride up somewhere with her father and ride back with her grandparents, while her brother did the opposite. She decided she didn't want to do the switch on the way home, and argued our ears off with reasons why this was all right and we should change our plan (her brother did not wish to change the previously arranged plan).I finally got her to tell me what was at the root at this after oh, 15 minutes of angry protestations, but I had to pry it out of her. She had heard an offhand remark, not intended for her, about how her grandfather didn't know the way and didn't have a map, and was therefore worried he would get lost (she hates being lost). Once I was able to adequately reassure her that this was not a concern, no issue remained and she switched cars.

But she DIDN'T TELL ANYONE THAT THIS WAS THE PROBLEM! Instead she aggressively confronted us--I don't want to do the switch, I changed my mind, I'm not going. The behavior looked ODD, or something other than anxiety, anyway. Even when I asked--why don't you want to switch?--she would not initially explain. I had to really work it out of her.