I cc'd in the Special Ed director on our email back and forth and I do believe I detect a change a tone in Mr. Principal's last email. I am thinking maybe Spec. Ed. director is a bit higher than principal since she is SpecED Dir of the district and perhaps he became more conscious of his tone. He still wants to meet and that's fine. If we are meeting then I feel like we should be prepared to have a good in-depth discussion about this, so I am outlining 'brainstorming ideas' and my concerns now so we can have a really good discussion. It could be yet another really good meeting for us. And why not... might as well take advantage of getting everyone together to have a really good back and forth on getting this accommodation hammered out. But I still can not guarantee a 8am meeting time as I do want my advocate to be there and he is the one insisting that every time I send an email discussing or tweaking the iep we MUST MEET so....

So, just yesterday another example of teachers and paras, etc. not being educated about DS's IEP, disability, etc. DS's gym teacher is now teaching them "health" this semester. Btw, gym teacher is a super guy, very good with and to DS and lovely to me (so far anyway...) Now that he is teaching "health" writing is involved in the class. DS had to ask for help with writing yesterday. DS said gym teacher was surprised and confused by DS's request and asked DS if he gets this sort of help form other teachers. DS said yes but gym teacher decided to make sure and put the question to the class, "Does DS get help with writing routinely and form Mrs. Homeroom teacher?" I mean, really?? And then they (principal and rest of IEP team) balk at my concern that the paras and other staff working with DS are not educated properly about DS's disability!

Apparently, however, this all went fine, Gym Teacher was lovely about it and not shaming (at least DS didn't feel weird or shamed) and DS was fine with it all. And the class was all like "yup, DS gets help with writing." Gym then said "Okay no problem, then" and helped him. But this really could have gone very badly. I don't want to get gym teacher in trouble at all so I probably won't bring it up...but really!