So, we had the IEP meeting today. It was a little rough but we got everything we needed for DS in terms of accommodations. I was prepared and it was the first time I felt that I was strong (and supported thanks to my advocate) against bullying and steamrolling. It was the first time I left an IEP meeting not feeling as though I had been bullied, pushed around and dismissed as a crazy person who wants to enable my DS's disability. I had writing samples and private OT evals showing my son over two years delayed in his writing. I showed them samples this time - of all of the reversals, etc. They were taken aback when I pulled out the private OT evals as they asserted, with a dismissive wave of their hand, that DS's writing skills are not at a 4 and 5 year old level. It says clearly "age level: 4.8-4.9 years" in these private evals by OTs at a well known established therapy practice.

Anyway, the advocate didn't say much but having her there helped and when she did speak it was good and quite effective. I felt like when it was clear they were dismissing me, she stepped in and didn't allow the issue/concern to be dismissed. She also made sure they addressed every point on the "parent agenda" I drafted. We even discussed the para incidents.

Okay so the one snafu is what to do when DS wants to continue writing beyond the accommodation set limit. So, the accommodation is now "DS is to be provided a scribe for more than 3 lines for each major writing assessment and assignment" ... Personally, I am surprised and a bit skeptical that DS actually turns down scribing because DS is always happy for me to scribe for him. Anyway, apparently what happens is that DS is very creative and often wants to continue his thought before a scribe can get to him or doesn't want to be interrupted in his train of thought. How do we deal with this situation without basically losing the accommodation to "we'll scribe when DS asks for help or looks fatigued." Any ideas?

ETA: I talked to DS and he says the reason he sometimes declines is that some days he just feels like he can write and other days he feels he can barely write a line.

Last edited by marytheres; 04/08/13 08:21 PM.