ARGGGGGHHH,

So, I was suppose to get back them (the IEP team) on this whole issue about what to do when DS wants to write more... that was what was said at the iep meeting - "think about it, talk to DS. Get back to us on how you want to handle DS wanting to write more..." SO I did, after chatting with you all here I wrote the following:

"Dear [Person sending draft IEP],
Thank you, this is wonderful. However, I have given more thought to our discussion about the scribing accommodation, as the team had asked, and I spoke to DS about it, as the team had suggested. I also talked with some private OTs about the accommodation. As you will recall, we were concerned about situations when DS wants to write more on his own and what to do then. Our current accommodation reads "Provide a scribe after three lines of writing on developmentally appropriate lined paper." After some careful consideration and speaking with OTs and BDS, I am thinking that we should make it as follows:

“Developmentally appropriate lined paper will be provided for all writing tasks. DS will be encouraged to write up to 2 lines on developmentally appropriate lined paper on any task independently. A scribe will be provided for any task that will require DS to write more than 3 lines and DS will be permitted to write up to 4 lines on developmentally appropriate lined paper if he clearly indicates he wants to do so.”

I am wondering if I could perhaps get a very brief report each day of how much Ben wrote so that I know and can monitor his fatigue level, emotional state and even how to handle/modify homework that day? Let me know what you think! Thanks!"

So I get this back in response from Mr. Principal:
"Thank you for your further thought on how to word specially designed instruction related to Ben's writing needs. It would be best to discuss this in the context of an IEP meeting. The team can be available to meet at 8:00 A.M. On the following dates: Thurs. 4/11, Mon. 4/15, Wed. 4/17, and Fri. 4/19. Let me know what would work for you. If these dates are not workable for you we can certainly go back to our calendars."

He such an A$$. Anyway, We just had a new very involved OT eval done yesterday at a place that also treats dyslexia/dysgraphia we should get that report within the next two weeks. We also have a neuropsych eval at the beginning of MAy. I am thinking of saying to this guy "okay let's leave it at 3 lines for now and I'll sign the NOREP. {I am actually okay with that at least temporarily, particularly given polarbears's good points} and lets' hold off meeting again and discussing mroe changes to to SDIs until after all of the upcoming evals."

What do you all think?

I am pretty certain what is coming in the next month or so is a dyslexia or dygraphia diagnosis. The OT evaluator yesterday seemed to be very concerned about it - and becasue she tested DS without him reading she was not distracted by his good reading skills. She seemed to do a lot of reversal testing on him with letters and shapes, etc. She was surprised at his reading level given what she saw in here testing and she said she fears DS will fall aprt when the reading requirements increase. I think we are at least looking at a dyslexic dygraphia diagnosis coming from someone soon.

By the way this principal is getting to be a nightmare - I feel like the principla is going to make this as uncomfrotable for me as possible to punish me. Seriously think he is tryign to tire me out by forcing a meeting everytime we want to tweak the the IEP (although it backfired on him last time becasue I was not intimidated or bullied and aended up feeling that meeting had been a great idea!) He knows 8 am is hard for my advocate and me so he is using this to make it hard on me and also to try to get me without my advocate, I think.

Anyway, Sorry I keep bothering you all with this but I haven't a lot of other resources frown Any help advice is appreiaciated.