Based on our experience - and only our experience - I am cautious about requiring the child to request this. It may be fine - with our first grade teacher last year I would have been perfectly comfortable. This year - no way. Not only has the teacher disregarded the IEP and required DD to do it all herself when the para was out but once we finally got the school to provide a substitute para DD was told she was "lazy" and "disrespectful" for "trying to get out of doing her own school work." The IEP needs to be worded in a way that absolutely anyone who reads it will know what needs to be provided. In other words "writing task" = "para support". Maybe something requiring that DS and para alternate writing the first 6 lines and all writing is scribed beyond that level? If DS consistently requests to write more than this himself you revisit the IEP? This way you would be assured the para support is provided and DS can't by definition be required to do more than allowed.

i.e. "Developmentally appropriate lined paper will be provided for all writing tasks. On writing tasks of 2 lines or less DS will be encouraged but not required to write independently. Para support will be provided for any writing task longer than 2 lines. For a task 3 lines or longer DS and para may alternate writing 1-2 lines each. Para will do all writing after DS completes a maximum of 4 handwritten lines."

The alternating is not essential but would hopefully ensure that he is receiving the para support and is not "choosing" to write beyond his comfort level because he does not want to wait for him/her.