Thank you so much, both of you. Ugh, this is so difficult! Part of the problem is the school now wants something very clear because I threatened to "employ our procedural safeguards" if I find that DS isn't getting his accommodation so this situation when DS wants to do more is touchy for them. And I don't mind b/c, as hard as it is to get it right, I like the idea of it being very specific so that I can hold them to it and DS doesn't end up in situation where he does too much.

After mulling this over and talking with DS and reading your replies and suggestions. I have re-worded it to this:

“Developmentally appropriate lined paper will be provided for all writing tasks. DS will be encouraged to write up to 2 lines on developmentally appropriate lined paper on any task independently. A scribe will be provided for any task that will require DS to write more than 3 lines and DS will be permitted to write up to 4 lines Developmentally appropriate lined paper if he clearly indicates he wants to do so.”

This is scary because I do want to respect what DS wants and feels capable of in terms of writing on any given day but I am, of course, like you all very concerned about the impact of handwriting on him - the fatigue, especially getting burned out by the end of the day, frustrated and unhappy at home, etc. I wonder could I ask for a report each day of how much he wrote so that I know and can correlate his fatigue level, emotional state and even how to handle homework that day?

Last edited by marytheres; 04/10/13 04:22 AM.