I've used most of the strategies outlined by ABQmom. Two things that she said really resonated with me...

1. negotiate for quiet time-- or offer valid reasons why you NEED it. This is the advantage of HG+ kids... all that intensity also comes with beyond-chronological ability to process cause-and-effect, to some extent. "Mommy would like to hear about ______, but right now, I need all of my attention for driving the car. Can you wait to tell me when we get to {destination}? Or is this an emergency?"

2. I made up preschool "centers" in small plastic storage boxes starting when my DD was about two. I also hid stickers, tape, and staplers... and kept glue LOCKED (so not kidding). Coloring materials, she had access to, because she wasn't prone to abuse of the medium, oddly. We gave her a LeapPad and a bunch of books to use with it when she was about 20 months. Oh-- and HEADPHONES.

I also second the notion of taking a class or something at least once a week. Or just go to the library- by yourself. I took Tai Chi. (Introvert here)

The most important thing, though-- is what she mentioned about offering explanations that seem {your kid} appropriate, not those that seem "preschool" or "toddler" appropriate.

For those who also have kids who never stop talking, have you had any success instituting Quiet Time? For a while I tried to have quiet time in the car (because I honestly felt like the constant talking and questioning was making me a less safe driver) and it was not super-successful.

Honestly, I simply explained things. Using whatever terms and analogies seemed to meet her where she was at the time. She understood, for example, that a car is very big, very powerful, and carries a tremendous amount of energy as it moves... therefore, it's VERY IMPORTANT to operate the vehicle safely and to make sure that you don't hit anything. It took time (witness the side mirror incident) for her to understand that there are times when I simply can't be talking with her in the car while I'm driving... but honestly, I think that her awareness of the surroundings/driving conditions is ultimately going to make her a more aware driver in a few more years, too.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.