Yes, there seem to be a lot of different flavors of synesthesia. You can take a battery here: http://synesthete.org/ I'd love to have DD do it, but like I say it, she seems to be sort of uninterested in her own exceptionality.

It is supposed to be highly heritable. I don't have it...but...I am highly visual when drowsy and will sometimes see a color or texture in my mind associated with particular thoughts or emotions. But only when sleepy. It isn't dreaming--I'm awake at the time.

Oh, and we discovered it in her completely by accident when she referred in a matter-of-fact way to a number's color. I think she was saying that something looked wrong because the number was in color and it, of course, isn't that color. (As with many synesthetes, this sort of bothers her.)

You know! I was talking earlier about how DD learned letters, numbers, and colors extremely early (all were in place by 14 months). Since syn is thought to occur when connections that are supposed to be "pruned" in infancy don't get pruned...I wonder if this could be associated with her very early number/letter learning?