FWIW, I did think my DD might be PG or something like that when she was a young toddler, and she has not tested as such. I think her IQ (which was gifted, but MG) might be a little higher than the # we have, from the RIAS, but not a LOT higher. I'd say she's not above 140 and I don't think she would ever qualify for DYS.

For instance, at 14 months she knew all letters, all numbers, all shapes, all colors, and many birds and plants (she liked field guides). Her early verbal development was just light years ahead of peers. At 18 months she had 50 or so sight words. As I mentioned, she also could ID most countries of the world and many flags at around 2. I kinda wish I HAD taken a video of that. There's a video of a 2yo whose skills with this were very similar to my DD's on YouTube and it's got 10 zillion astounded comments. I didn't realize at that time how unusual this was. She also could reciite very long books, like 50+ pages, in her twos. Letter perfect. My DS had exactly the same ability. In that case, I knew it was unusual because people outside the family were loudly and frequently amazed by it.

Again, she is certainly gifted, and I think she will be able to get into a very good college and achieve almost anything she wants to. However, at third grade, she reads probably at 8th grade level (this hasn't been tested to my knowledge, so it's a guess) and her math ability is probably 2 years ahead. Gifted, but not OMG COLLEGE AT 12.