Originally Posted by CCN
Mmm... some similarities. I can't recall exactly their ages, but somewhere around 14-16 months:

1) DS for sure. He was very fascinated with mechanics. He wouldn't just play with toys - he'd analyze them (sometimes taking them apart) to see how they worked.

2) DD. It was creepy. Neither of my two spoke a word until 24 months, but far earlier on, DD's comprehended vocabulary was just... out of this world. You could ask her for ANYTHING and she'd find it and point at it. I never did inventory and count, but I wish I had. She knew the alphabet (could read the letters) at 16 months, and prior to that there were so, so many words/things that she knew.

3) Both. For SURE. They love math, and it started early

4) Just DD. DS had some fine motor challenges.

5) DD - OMGYES. DS - pretty good.

6) Both everything except verbal. My two were silent at that age.

7) Just DD. DS still has problems with that (now 8). Getting better though.

8) Neither

9) Hmm. Both slept well, but got fussy quickly while awake unless engaged. Sleeping was no problem though.

CCN, thanks so much for sharing! Your reply was really informative and helpful, and I always appreciate your candour in posts (e.g. OMGYES!! Haha!).

Re #9: My little man can't shut off for sleep. The learning must.go.on. Like a bad James Cameron film. Until he started to communicate more clearly, he became downright angry anytime we tried to settle him. Our trick is to run around the house (literally) naming everything we see in rapid succession until he seems satisfied. It's as though he resents the opportunity cost of sleep immensely. We look insane doing it, but he seems to love this...err...settling method.

Re #3: How did your children's math interests evolve?

Thanks again!

What is to give light must endure burning.