Originally Posted by ninjanoodle
Hi aquinas,
I learned my lesson and finally did take notes on my third kid's development. This is from 14 and 15 months. It does not correlate directly with yours - I didn't put much down about counting.
Is your son saying many words?
She had pretty advance early literacy like my other kids and knew her alphabet before two and was reading some words at two. She was recently tested at 99.9th centile (145) and is early entering into school in 2013 at 4y 8,m, she can read pretty well already.

14 months
walking really well
running
steps down steps holding one hand
really interested in letters,
always names b, o, n
sometimes knows s, d, m, a,
obsessed by balls
"big ball"
learning colours
great understanding eg "Go and hold Brian's hand"
really getting good at repeating words, today for example about 5 new words though I can't remember what they were!
can point to objects in turn while I count
likes scribbling
can shout out letters as we drive in the car

15 months

kicks ball forward
spins on the spot
walks backwards
"me mi" (give me the milk)
R
tantrum
went to one sleep months ago
about 30 words?
runs
paints, scribbles (on wall!)
says "wee" but no luck in potty yet.
danced months ago
loves climbing
has been 'reading" books and turning pages since before 12 months
First three words together today, bubble da ba(th) which meant, I want to have bubbles in the bath.
Several two word combinations

words - mummy daddy nana, sisters name, brothers name, manma (grandma) mampa ( grandpa) own name
dory (story), book ,me, mi (milk, water, drink), nana (food, banana ), juice, eye, nose, mou (mouth), no, yes, ear, up, shoe, bubble,
ba (bath) ball star car bus day (train) bee, ba (sheep), moo (cow).
door, bum, bye bye, ta,
duck, now (cat, ie meow), mats (mouse, Max), da (the)
letters - sometimes - N M D A R T S E B
some recognising of colours but not 100% (yellow, blue, purple, red)
another three worder, "me ba(th) Nana" (I am in the bath with sister)

Hope that's interesting! Let me know what you think....

Cheers,

ninjanoodle, I wish I could hug you! Thank you so much for that wonderfully detailed record from your daughter! That granularity is so informative.

I don't want to bore you with redundant information, as I've just now provided some more details about my son in replies to previous posters. But, in answer to you question, my son is in the ~175-200 word range for clearly spoken words. He has, I'd guess, at least as many spoken words where he says the first syllable of the word.

His vocabulary seems to expand either outright, with the word(s) said crystal clear immediately, or progressively, with one syllable or phoneme added at a time over a period of hours, days, or weeks. For instance, a month ago, zebra was a non-word extended "zzzzz" while pointing at a zebra. Then, it became "zee", "zeeb", and then "zeeb-a". When he includes the "r", I'll count it as a word.

Interestingly, my husband says his memory seems to work alphabetically, so it seems like my son has inherited his mental taxonomy. Did you ever notice anything similar with your daughter or other children?

ETA: If you, or any other participants, would like more details about my son, please don't hesitate to ask.

What is to give light must endure burning.