More on gross motor... my niece's son (not gifted, as far as we know), could kick and walk with a soccer ball (as in, purposefully direct it as he walked) at 12 months! I've never seen a kid do that before. Made my DS look really bad when at the age of three he still had to reach down and hold on to curbs when stepping over them (he was pretty delayed with gross motor, but he seems to have caught up now).

Fine motor... my DD could add missing pieces to a face drawing (ie if you drew a circle and say, a mouth, she'd draw the eyes and nose) at 12 months. Nothing fancy, but still! She was purposefully writing letters at 26 months (before she finished potty training at 28 months... ha ha ha... I always found that funny). At 26 months she could only do the letters with just straight lines (didn't have the control yet for curves), so she could write things like W, X, M, Y, etc etc. She intently stare at you, crayon in hand, waiting for you to tell her which letter to write. I find that interesting... that there was such a delay between letter recognition (16 months) vs. written output ability (10 months later). It makes you wonder what else is going on in their little heads that they can't express yet.

Last edited by CCN; 01/03/13 11:44 PM.