Originally Posted by DMA
DS14 has been diagnosed with CAPD. He cannot follow multiple people talking at once, needs to have things explained to him again in class, has real trouble understanding accents and has trouble hearing in gyms or swimming pools because the sound bounces around. He has that "Huh" look on his face in social situations because the talk flies by so fast. He had lots of ear infections when he was young.

In my opinion, people with CAPD often have anxiety because they get teased about being confused, and may look spectrummy even if they are not.

This is my son to a tee... except for the diagnosis.

We had a CAPD assessment at the audiology department of our local hospital. This after DS8 had FIVE normal hearing tests. The assessment was conducted in a soundproof room, took about 2.5 hours, done over two sessions. Because our pediatrician referred us, it was covered by our medical (we're in BC, Canada).

DS8 is SUCH a "huh?" kid... I was SHOCKED AND STUNNED when he passed each segment of the assessment (he was either at or above age level - one section he tested well above age level). He has all the behavior red flags for CAPD as well as having a diagnosis of a language processing disorder (the linguistic portion of CAPD). I'm still shaking my head.

The audiologist said that they can have audio processing delays, and he may be outgrowing his which is why he tested so well. Either that or somehow he's compensating (but how?). Don't know.

In our school district a formal diagnosis of CAPD gets funding to pay for an FM system (so much for that! sigh). Our school principal said that if DS8 didn't get the CAPD qualifying diagnosis that I could pay for the equipment myself if his teacher is willing to use it. I don't know who is grade 3 teacher will be yet and I haven't looked into the costs of the equipment, so that's not in the works at the moment.

Last edited by CCN; 08/29/12 10:21 PM.