Originally Posted by ultramarina
.she says she has trouble with:

--following a conversation when more than one person is talking at once
--remembering oral multi-step directions
--paying attention to a quieter voice when other voices are around her

She volunteered this info--I did not solicit it. That is pretty CAPD-ish, huh? She denies having trouble actually hearing, though of course, she may not know that she does, since she used to living in that body. She has a long history of serious middle ear infections in toddlerhood and had ear tubes.

She IS a "Huh?" kid. She's also a kid who looks bewildered a fair bit. Sort of a "Why is this confusing to you?" sort of character, since you know she's smart. It's always fairly easy to get her set straight, so it's never really that big a deal, but. She is also very literal and tends to miss some nuance in conversation at times, or to be slightly "behind."

Ultra, I know nothing about CAPD. But I will also say that you can often see this "huh" quality in people on the autism spectrum. They are so deep in what's in their own heads that they don't come out of that fast enough to listen to what you're saying (that is, a listening, not a hearing problem). We do spend a lot of time repeating/clarifying directions around here.

I hope you can sic your professionals on sorting this out.
DeeDee