I'm just coming in again because I guess I don't understand why, such as what Verona is saying, that the teacher isn't guiding them to learn this? Did the teacher provide good feedback and the student just didn't understand, or did the student just get marked down or reprimanded and the parent had to figure it all out and then do the lesson interpretation for their child, etc.?

The OP as a mother gets an e-mail about her son's response...does the student get the feedback to what the teacher was looking for as an appropriate answer and asked to resubmit? Or do the immediately go to the middle school version of a "color change", also like chris1234 said? If the student is not demonstrating what the teacher was asking for with a particular type of question, is it because they were taught in class and didn't get it or the teacher didn't teach it properly, and how does the teacher work with the student between the two of them, at that age, to help the student learn this lesson?

DD is only 8 and she is literal, though hasn't done anything like this (yet?) so I'm just very confused and curious.