Lots of things come to mind here.

That is exactly the sort of thing that my DS9 would write, and he would be just as shocked that it wasn't what the teacher was looking for. Ask for an opinion, you're going to get an opinion!

Same with the "explain your answer" thing. We're still working on that, but since he was 5 he's been answering those with "because it's right" and so on. Can't argue with that, it's true -- and it's hard to explain how you know that 5 x 5 = 25.

I did more subtle rebellion, myself -- I remember a paper in high school where we were supposed to discuss the author's symbolism involving the use of light in a story (the light was on or the fire was lit when there were great truths being revealed, etc.) and I wrote my paper on how the light didn't mean anything -- they turned the light on when they entered a room, lit the fire when it was cold. Teacher didn't have that in mind, but I wrote good papers. smile

Definitely a fan of the charm school story, though I know it as "fantastic". Working on teaching DS9 that sort of thinking, but he is a bit too literal.

Jon, reminds me of Apollo 13, when the press goes after the wives -- "remember, we're proud, happy and thrilled."

I think I would be getting a bit upset with the teacher for downgrading the answers after asking for opinions with no specific criteria. And especially for taking off more points on an unrelated assignment because that paper wasn't "chivalrous". But I'd have to have a discussion with the kiddo and try to explain exactly how one is supposed to know when the teacher is looking for a lie, and what sort of lie to provide, and how to fill the required space with said lie. Survival 101.