ABQmom - I can soooooo so just imagine my ds writing something similar. He's been very tempted on a few of the "explain your work" math problems he's had lately...

FWIW, my ds loves humor (for anyone reading who doesn't know about him, he's severely dysgraphic and has an expressive language disorder impacting written expression)... one thing that struck me about this situation was perhaps you could sit down with your ds, acknowledge that he has a valid point (at least, imo he does :D), and explain why a filter is needed on the language... then the two of you could re-write his response with a twist of humor - take out the "sucks" and whatever other inappropriate language there is, but let him write out what he really felt, just show him that you can do it more successfully with a bit of nice humor.

Since I don't know his current teacher, I don't know how she would have reacted to that... but I think that for some teachers, particularly if they understand the writing challenges that dysgraphic kids have, the humorous response would be acceptable. I only suggest that because I know, for my ds, it's tough enough to write anything even when he's motivated. When he doesn't understand the point of an assignment it's just a *really* really tough thing to do! Humor helps.. if nothing else.. it at least helps ds feel a little better about it smile

Best wishes,

polarbear