I think you all have a point about the competitive thing. I agree it's hard with someone to compete with you if you don't compete back!
I've sometimes wondered if what I'm interpreting as competetiveness, is the other's parents more underlying need to validate what they think they know about their child. That is, hey, my child is really smart and that's something special about them! smile
I feel lucky that I have chosen to have my children tested so I know exactly what I'm dealing with and don't have to question my instinct about my children's intelligence.
I feel for these parents that know in their heart that their child is gifted, but they have to wait for that letter from the school admitting the child to the GT program to have it "confirmed".
That's got to be a rough place to be. Having hard evidence of their potential also helped me be more proactive with the schools and didn't back me off when the school tried to manage my expectations.
I find that competetiveness just as annoying as anybody else, don't get me wrong. I just think in some cases there is more going on than meets the eye.

I