kickball - I really feel your pain...
I feel kind of stupid b/c I'd heard about the difficulties of advocating for gifted kids, but I always thought to myself...I'm sure it's not that bad! People must be exaggerating!
What an awakening I've had the past year!!!!
I find people I can talk to in the weirdest places...the OT and the PT that I work with both have gifted children, but it took over a year of working together before we broached the subject (the fear of speaking about it with others). I took my kids to the Museum of Natural History the other day and it was awesome! It was members only night and we were allowed to go behind the scenes, see the collections and talk to the scientists. It was so great b/c it seemed like most of the kids were gifted. It was so different from being around the general public - very interested, engaged children (like mine!). I went to check out the education resource room where teachers can check out materials... it turns out the lady running it has a gifted son (2). She was so excited to talk to me and my dd's. We exchanged #'s and I referred her to Dr. Rimm.
I guess what I'm trying to say (the long way) is that I've met people in the least expected places, they just come along; but I'm careful what I say to most of the people I associate with on a daily basis. Some of the other teachers at my school are also very supportive.
Can't forget Mom! She's right on board!