very interesting thread.

I was a middle child in a group of 7 where really everyone was very smart though we varied widely in how well we did in school, socially, etc. I was always 99th percentile on all the standardized testing, however I think folks saw my work in reading/writing as more obviously 'gifted'. I did the tag classes, got to take french in 7th grade and so on, really wonderful classes actually. I was labeled as very verbal, when in fact I am most comfortable and interested when I have a logic problem to ponder. Conduct was never ever an issue. I just did whatever would keep my overwrought parents from stressing out even more than they already had to, for the other 6 kids.

We went to a good elementary and a very good high school for girls, however even this was a breeze. College was harder and I did shift around a lot, finally deciding to get a degree in art because the work was fun and the people were very interesting. I met my husband in college, also an art major.

I have ended up in the computer field, well paid, and almost every day a new logic problem comes my way, as well as an opportunity to polish my people skills (apparently no one else at the office has time to polish theirs!). This confidence in my abilities has been a long time in coming, due to early labels that others applied which took a long time to fall off.

My husband's story is very different, he is smarter in a lot of ways but lack of people-savvy has been an issue for him more than once. After a very long time in technical theater (set building, etc.), he changed careers and has been in the computer tech field for a while. With the dawn of all sorts of technical courses online and the chance to interact with professors he chooses, he is dipping his toe back into studying and school, and so far is enjoying himself. He is excited to have a job with some interesting prospects. He seems to be coming more into his own after quite a meandering path.

For our kids, we are excited to be finally homeschooling our 11 year old and think about doing the same with our younger child. She is far more capable in the social skills department than almost any of us, but much more of a handful than our oldest; school is a much better fit for her than it ever was for our sensitive and fair-minded boy. We want both of them to be more comfortable with themselves than we were able to be as kids.