What was I like as a child?
According to my recollection, a tiny old person. I also do not remember struggling to read, but I DO remember my dad "showing me off" to some friends by having me read something from an advanced engineering text (maybe I was 4) then I explained it to the adults. Both my parents took that Evelyn Wood speed reading course in the early 70's so I thought I just inherited that.
I was a pleaser, perfectly well mannered at home and school, a kid who didn't lose things and pretty much did what she was told, when and how.
I also usually only had one "best friend" at a time and always thought I was born into the wrong time/place. I worried obsessively over things like nuclear war and would I really go to hell and burn in a fire for all eternity for thinking I would like to kiss a boy.
When I was in HS, my step mom says I had a chip on my shoulder. What I really had was the thought that no one there really meant anything because none of them would ever be signing my paychecks (and they aren't! lol!). I spent alot of time listening to The Smiths and wishing either I could graduate and move onto college early or that I would just die in my sleep one night because I was too emotionally sensitive for this world.
Even now, as an adult, I have had problems with people telling me I "act like I am better than others" or "superior" because apparently, not everyone has the same amount and command of vocabulary I do and this makes some of them feel stupid...I've also been accused of having too high of expectations and making others look bad because I do it all so well...whatever...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...