Originally Posted by kikiandkyle
Sorry for the thread hijack everyone. Discovering my child is gifted has brought back many painful memories for me, as you can tell!

My childhood wasn't painful, but I did hope that I wouldn't have gifted kids so I wouldn't have to go through it all again - I call it my gifted baggage. The baggage has gotten lighter over the last several years, as I've discovered my kids are gifted and have worked to improve their experiences over my own. My parents worked hard to give me a good experience, but they didn't have the internet or a forum like this to help them out!

I've found that I'm much happier looking back on my childhood as I've worked to improve my kids' experience. I've reflected a lot on my own experience as I've read posts on this forum. And I've used some of the advice I've gotten on this site to help me talk to DS7 and better frame his thought processes in relation to kids around him. Things I wish my parents had known and had been able to discuss with me. I'm waiting to see how things play out with DD4 as she enters K next fall, but I feel like I have the tools now to help her when she needs it.

Kikiandkyle, hopefully as you journey forward with your DD, you can help her have a better experience and start to feel more empowered and less regretful about your own. My mom could have written your post, and she made sure that I had a better experience than she did. I appreciate it immensely. Your own painful memories give you a lot of insight to help make your DD's better. It can give your past, and your present, a higher purpose.