Originally Posted by kikiandkyle
I failed college before because I have a hard time focusing on things I'm not interested in. If I can't see the point in learning it beyond to pass an exam, I can't get motivated. My daughter has the same problem. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite telling her that she has to do things she doesn't want to sometimes, when I don't like doing them either!

Kikiandkyle, I am exactly the same - as is my dd. I finally found my 'thing' fortunately, but only by chance and not till I was 30. It might not have been the case for you, but what that meant for me was that I had extraordinarily unsatisfying jobs for a long time, working with people I had nothing in common with. Recently I twigged that this could be my reason to ride dd a bit (I was finding it really hard to ride her when I couldn't see the point either). So now what I say to dd about learning the pointless stuff is that doing well with the pointless stuff gives you more options in life and ultimately reduces the amount of time you have to do pointless stuff later on. I'm honest about feeling the same way as her, but I explain my experience and why I wished I had bothered with study earlier.

No idea if that's relevant to your situation, but thought I'd mention it in case it's useful. smile

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke