I had one sister 5 years younger than me and one sister 9 years younger than me.  I had a lot expected of me.  One step dad from age 2.5-5yrs, and one step dad for a grand total of six months at 9 yrs. old.   We moved practically every 6 months.  I was in 13 different schools (from moving) by the 6th grade.   Always honor roll, always obedient, except when I was stubborn.  They stuck me babysitting a lot at the church because I was responsible and engaging.  The church, as a whole, was our whole life.  The Pentecostal church zealously teaches that Christians are alien on Earth, ambassadors, Citizens of Heaven and that knowledge, wisdom, and understanding are gifts from the Holy Spirit dwelling within you.  I would choose from 1 to 3 playmates  in my class every time we moved.   The Queen Bees would try to introduce themselves because I was something new every time I moved, I would ignore them and befriend the outcast because they still liked to PLAY and the socialites weren't very active that way.  (climbing trees, etc).   
My mom tried her best, kept us off welfare, kept us together, kept us in church, sheltered us.  You do the best you can with what you know at the time, right!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar