Originally Posted by ultramarina
also, depression does not seem the right word for DD to me. She eats well, sleeps well, and is active and enthusiastic. I would never describe her as "sad," but I would say she seems angry and low in self-esteem.

I filled out those rating scales as well, and I also thought DD would come out as depressed, mostly based on the frequency of tears. Her neuropsych evaluation came out with anxiety, not depression. The anxiety in our case seems to draw most directly from previously undiscovered learning disabilities. In retrospect, we first started seeing this aspect of the anxiety in second grade. Her personality seems "ripe" for developing the anxiety, with a generally negative affect and emotional states that appear quantized.

I'm doing my first parent intake with a cognitive behavioral therapist tomorrow. I chose someone who appears gifted himself, and has worked with anxiety, ADHD, and learning disabilities. I'm trying to interview a few, but I'm struggling to find info on the psychologists as the telephone gate keepers aren't really that useful.