Originally Posted by ultramarina
How do I find a good neuropsych and what do I look for? Is this sort of thing usually covered by insurance? I guess it's probably time. *sigh* We have worried off and on about her since she was a small toddler. The thing is, I am just not sure if she is diagnosable with anything. She may just be HARD. Up to this point we seemed to be the only ones who felt there was a problem, so the comments from her teacher are making me take notice. She is functioning perfectly well in school despite this.

We found that it was helpful to ask our pediatrician for recommendations when our children were struggling - that's how we found our neuropsychologist. If you're in a much larger area than we are, you might also be able to find advice online or by networking among other parents (we have limited choices here, so networking was helpful but we don't have a lot of folks to choose from!).

I wouldn't worry about whether or not she's "diagnosable" - she seems to be struggling and you want to help by having more information about what's driving her behaviors - that's what's important. You might go through an eval and find out there is nothing to diagnose - that's a-ok! Or you might find out that there really is something up and that will be a point to start from and move forward from. In either case, you'll most likely learn a lot about your dd which will help, whether or not there is anything to diagnose. And, fwiw, we've had two or our children go through neuropscyh evals and in both cases, what we learned was entirely different from what we'd suspected, so we are very VERY glad we went through the eval process.

Best wishes,

polarbear