Originally Posted by La Texican
The Nurtured Heart Approach Workbook is a strength based discipline approach. �It rewards charachter strengths without losing rewards for transgressions, but with a zero tolerance policy for bad behavior. �It's subtitle is "transforming the difficult child."
I think this book is the best of many similar by the same writer:

Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook: An Interactive Guide to The Nurtured by Howard Glasser and Lisa Bravo

I do think that many gifted kids need a particular style of dicipline because they are 'intense' and 'sensitive.' They also are 'asynchronous' in their development, which means that if you only judge by what they say, you will miss the 'age appropriate little kid' feeling that are driving the words. I found this very confusing.

Add to that the general isolation that you can't go down to the play ground and tell what is going on at your house to the neighbor moms without them thinking you are a braggart or a liar or crazy. When one steps into the zone of trying to disipline a (highly) gifted child one steps off the map of the known world and into the 'there be dragons' so it's no wonder the neighbor-friends are making that strange face at you.

Keep posting here about what is bugging you, what you are trying and what is working and not working - writing it down were you can see it will help. Knowing you aren't alone or crazy will help. And sometimes we get the advice just right!

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com