Originally Posted by kcab
Meanwhile, I have a freshman who is stressed out due to her extracurricular activities (already!), but cruising academically in honors across the board. I chalk that up to her high school being more notable athletically than academically, and apparently not particularly stressed about its standing. So I still have the problem of not being certain that she is being adequately taught.

Hmm. Consider this. Given the effects of Title IX, it is easier for girls to get a full ride athletically than academically as compared to boys. Most colleges will support a five year plan so sports and academics are a realistic goal in college. They also support with tutors, dorms, etc.

Originally Posted by JonLaw
Medicine is one of the last fields out there that offers a real salary. I'm still thinking about going into it now because it's one of the last places where you easily can make $250,000 based on something other than your ability to sell and market.

A good networking person, system admin, or DBA with 5 solid years of experience can make 100K pretty easily. People with 10+ years make 250K pretty easily. Or, you can get an MBA and enter the managment ranks and make 500K or more after 10-15 years. There is still no way out of 60 hour weeks and you may not like where you end up.

Originally Posted by jack'smom
My point was simply- children mature at different times. Maybe at age 13 or age 18, etc., a child that seems flaky or not able to achieve at age 9 might do better later on, or vice versa.

I agree. Everyone matures at different rates. However, high achievers tend to have high workloads put on them at an early age and then find a way to deal with it. Sometimes this is a load they place on themselves or it comes from an outside source.

Last edited by Austin; 10/03/11 10:00 AM.