IMHO, this is crazy. My dds took numerous AP classes in HS and did very well, and they did NOT require this number of hours of busywork. I disagree that this is necessary, or good prep for life.
I certainly don't find any value in copying out the syllabus by hand, or in filling out questions about the book. That isn't treating the students respectfully, or intelligently. I'm pretty shocked that you've heard repeatedly that students need to do 4-5 hours of homework a night. My dd18 took almost all AP classes (her HS offered all except Latin) and she scored a string of 5s. She was in a competitive show choir and had a social life. She did NOT work for that many hours a night. Frankly, how could she on nights when show choir or spring musical met for 3 or 4 hours?
I do agree with all the suggestions. We were lucky that dd18 is very organized and a very fast writer - she also didn't waste time on Facebook or texting friends while she was doing homework (and she generally worked/studied alone because other kids weren't as focused).
Truly, this seems crazy. Our district has a homework policy. Are there any recommendations at all in your district? Do the counselors/principal go along with this 4-5 hour idea?
I also don't think I'd complain immediately, but I would keep it open as an option. Your dd is in high school, yes, and she's very smart, yes, but she's still a kid. There's a reason she's not considered an adult, isn't living away at college, etc.. She still needs parental support and back up!
If parents don't speak up about this craziness, it will only get worse. I am NOT anti-homework, but I'm anti-silly busywork.
Yes, your dd should have to work hard, but this is overkill. Honestly, another reason to have the parent step in is because I think the teachers are less likely to view your dd negatively if you go in as the parent and say, "she is so concerned with doing well in this class and she would stay up all night, but I am concerned."
IMHO, there is no reason to ever pull an all-nighter in HS. Many of my dds' friends did it, but I think if you're prepared and work steadily, you should never be required to stay up all night. I know it happens, but I disagree. I think it's usually due to poor planning on the part of the student, or crazy, unrealistic demands on the part of the teacher.
Theresa