Austin, and this thread in general, has obliquely raise a point that I have been considering for a while. Is it advisable for 2E kids to be aiming for the kinds of career paths Austin's friends have successfully pursued? Are they always going to need more down time, longer to get things done, etc. Is it ever going to be realistic for them to have a sustained output that is both intellectually more than average and output volume and hours per week more than average? Can they be mentally and physically healthy with that sort of load? Sure they may have the intellectual capacity to be head of surgery at a major hospital - but is that life a good idea for them?

My eldest DD is 9, she's most definitely not PG, I am guessing she will show up MG when re-tested next month. She wants to be a cardiologist or a neurologist. And I believe she has the capacity to get there if she wants it, but I do wonder if med school and early years of practice as a surgeon is something she is cut out for, and whether we should be encouraging something that is challenging and stimulating but she can pursue and still have a more balanced life. Does that make any sense at all?