Originally Posted by jack'smom
I'm a cardiologist. At age 9, kids really don't know what they want to be. She is at least 25 years away from being a fully practicing physician- who knows what the practice of medicine will be like then? Alot of fields, including cardiology and surgery, can offer a good work-life balance.

I don't know about the US system, but we are in Australia, where Medicine is generally direct entry from highschool, requiring incredibly high marks AND a second medicine entry exam and interviews. And it most likely requires careful subject choices in highschool - balancing what she will get best marks from and prerequisite subjects for medicine. She's in yr4, 5 years from now she will be making subject choices for the following year that may "matter". If we thinking she may not be that well suited to the level of pressure and output required to get into medicine, to study medicine and to practice (some fields) of medicine then we should probably start gently encouraging any other ideas that come up pretty soon so she's at least not thinking on one track, which she has been for a while now. And to be honest I could have predicted medicine and vet science would he high on her interest list from her interests as a toddler.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 09/16/11 04:47 PM.