Originally Posted by kcab
To return to the original thread, how is it going now that school has been in for a few weeks (Cricket2 & anyone else who wants to chime in)?
Sorry, I just saw this and it is timely. I still can't see the times/dates when people posted things; it still reads as a random string of #s on the top right of the post -- most irritating!

On topic, though, things are not getting any better and I am fairly concerned w/ dd. She's crying non-stop, writing depressing poetry, and generally highly depressed. The accommodation she gets from her 504 is extra time if needed, but turning things in late will just cause stuff to pile up and make it no less manageable.

From what I see, the issues are as follows:

1) She works for at least 5 hrs every night and that much or more each day on the weekend. She isn't goofing off and is working as quickly as she can. This leaves her with no freetime to see friends, read, watch TV, play with the dogs, or do virtually anything. She is also very tired b/c she's getting to bed too late. Last night it was 10:30 or so by the time she got to bed and she's up at 5:30. She worked pretty straight through from the time she got home (3:30) until she went to bed. She didn't even have time to shower.

2) Some of the work remains pointless IMHO. Her social studies class continues to assign coloring projects that take hours upon hours and are graded harshly if they aren't super detailed, if any white is left showing on the page around the colored pencil...

3) She has some group projects that have aversely affected her grades. For instance, in English, she's gotten A+s on all individual work but the two group projects entailed the other kids not doing the work at all and/or doing it totally wrong (did you know that Democrats were the cause of slavery due to their belief in big government and that slavery ended 20 yrs before the Civil War began?). She's had to re-do their work and has gotten low Bs on the two things that involved turning in stuff that was partially done by other kids. This has her grade for that class at a B+ -- I know it's not bad, but she's upset and it's just adding to her homework load to be picking up the pieces for other kids.