Originally Posted by Cricket2
I really hope that one study hall in replacement of a class that didn't have a lot of homework is enough to make it worth the disappointment.

Most of the time, we used the lunch period to study. We'd eat lunch, then go sit in the next class and study. Sometimes if we had a big test the next hour, the teacher in that class would just let us prep.

FWIW, I talked with two of my friends from HS last night to see if my memories were off. They both reminded me I was not there for 9th grade. The Algebra teacher and the Latin teacher handed out a ton of homework in that grade. The Latin teacher was especially a major PIA. Both studied 2-4 hours a night. They both recall working until 2am one or twice a month.

One friend has a PHD in Math and is a full professor. He also works at a major nuke lab and also owns a company that does quantum computing. He told me he usually studied from 5pm until 9pm and then did six hours on the weekend. He said he hated it sometimes. But now appreciates the work ethic he developed. He said his dad encouraged him to stick with it. He gave up football his junior year to focus on his studies. I do recall him quoting aphorisms to motivate himself.

The other friend is head of the surgery department in a major metro area. She told me she often cried her 9th and 10th grade years. She also had major concert commitments outside of school as she played 2d chair in the metro orchestra and also did recitals around the country. She was in band and the band teacher would let her take a nap in her office or study there. There was a lot of trauma in her life her junior year as well due to loss of family members so schoolwork was her refuge.

I now also recall that my GF in HS cried sometimes. She is now head of pediatrics at a large hospital. She usually studied all weekend and from 2-4 hours every night during the week. She also did theater outside of school and had to give it up her junior year to focus on school. She really wanted to be a physician and that was what kept her going.

All three earned straight As, had SAT 1's over 1450, and two were NMSF.

Both friends said they felt that I did not have to work as hard as they did to get the same grade - so "easy" was not so "easy" for them.

I hope this helps provide perspective in some way.