Originally Posted by Nik
Have they ruled out the medication as the cause of the generalized seizure? I am sure they know what they are doing and I know nothing about this stuff but I read somewhere that when people go off the stimulants and then back on, they can have really severe reactions like heart attacks etc. I wish I could remember where I saw that.

It depends on which doctor I ask. Sleep deprivation and excessive stress was most likely the cause. His psychiatrist who has been treating him the longest, doesn't want him on anything. His general practioner says he needs better sleep habits and get this checked out ASAP. He agreed with one neurologist that he may be "neuro-sensitive". It's not exactly a medical term but that is how the ER neurologist explained it (he also put him on Keppra with enough refills for 3 months) The ER neurologist didn't think my son should have stopped Vyvance which is a very small amount - 30mgs. (That is all my son would agree to take to improve his school situation) We went to the ER again for medical management until his appointment with a neurologist who will take my son as a patient. The 2nd ER doc also thought it was most likely sleep deprivation and stress. He says the amount of Vyvance my son was taking was the amount he prescribes for 10 yr olds and my son has been on vyvance since his freshman year at much higher dosages before. He says the tests they will do will deprive him of sleep in order to show irregular brain waves so having a seizure just tells us he has an underlying neurlogical condition that needs to be determined. All of them said he needs 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep daily.

The strangest part is his EEG. We can't find it. The ER neurologist had blocked it on the record "to be interpreted by neurologist only" and told us he would study it and get back to us in a month. The 2nd ER doc says we can get it on a CD disc the next time we come back to the ER. We went to another hospital the 2nd time because they have a seizure center there. The first ER neurologist is on vacation and his office cannot help because they haven't seen him there. The 2nd ER doc thought it was peculiar that he was put on Keppra for having a generalized seizure for the first time. He thought the EEG may show something concerning but I shouldn't worry because a neurolgist wouldn't jeopardize his career. crazy

Anyway, the neurologist he will be seeing in a few days is quite established. His office says if my son is needing a specialized epitologist, they will refer him out. My son says he feels great... though the rest of us think keppra is making him very loopy.