I will try give you the cliff's notes version: Beginning in high school I had terrible issues with getting up in the morning. I also had a difficult time staying asleep at night. All through college I missed classes if they were scheduled in the morning. I avoided taking those offered during early hours as much as possible, but I went to a small school & it wasn't always feasible. Most people thought of it as laziness (that was painful). frown
Back in 1990 at the end of college I started seeing a psychiatric resident at a local university medical center for depression. She picked up on the sleep problem & realized I was dealing with something organic. This particular medical center happened to also have a sleep center & she got me in to have a sleep study done. I was dx'd with nocturnal myoclonus & periodic limb movement disorder; now pretty much just known as Restless legs syndrome. My legs were moving about once a minute for 5 hours. And I was having alpha-delta sleep. I have been on a couple of different meds since except when I have been pregnant. The medication I take now is one that Parkinson's disease patients might take.
This is a link to the Web MD info on restless legs syndrome: restless legs info They have good info on other sleep disorders, too.
If you have other questions I will try to answer them. Or you can PM me. sleep

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. Walt Disney