Thanks for the update Cricket, that's great news! (Un-jinx ;-))

Mcupoftea, That sounds very promising, would you mind sharing the info that helped you determine that such mega-doses were safe for kids?

I am hoping to assemble enough convincing information for my DD to be willing to try it. Right now, if it isn't recommended by a Dr. its all suspect to her(!) Also, I want to share it with my brother as my 11 year old niece is starting to display some signs of following in my DDs footsteps(!)

Twinkle-toes, here is the breakdown from up thread:
Originally Posted by ColinsMum
According to my nutrition book, NIH recommendation is 650mg/day of DHA *plus* 650mg/day of EPA, age not specified. TBH I don't think we have the science to know what's optimal for anyone, let alone taking size/age into account. I'm not finding a source for that simple recommendation but here's a MedlinePlus page with a complicated list at the bottom. A reason why it might not scale with size is that fat needs don't and the omega 3/omega 6 ratio seems to be important, though it's clearly not simple.

I bought the Nordic Naturals 1000mg fish oil softgels and each 2 gel serving provides:

330mg EPA
220mg DHA
140mg Other Omega-3
160mg Omega-9

18 calories.

I don't think its an exact science, but I figured on two 2-pill servings a day on days we do not eat salmon. I would love to have some more documentation to support this (or another) quantity, as it would make it so much easier to convince those in my family that could benefit the most from it to give it a shot.

Another caution, I was told there was some issue with some of the gel tab casing ingredients if consumed in large quantities (not Nordic Naturals), I can find the details if anyone wants them. Then of course there is the mercury in some of the real fish to worry about if consuming large quantities too!