The only problems I have had with my DS9 were when I tried to slow him down, to fill gaps instead of letting him work at his own pace.

I'm a big fan of deep and wide. I use that every chance I get. Foreign language, extensive music education, extensive creative writing, and ad savvyness are all on our school schedule for this coming year, and they are not things that would be so thoroughly tackled in our local public school. This is my big trick for trying to slow down.

But he's way ahead in most subjects. There's no getting around it with him. He will be taking college-level classes by the time he hits a traditional high school age. <shrug> That's how it goes. With online options and community colleges, he won't be going away to college. He'll just be doing harder work. We can handle that.

Frankly, there isn't any other option.

But, yeah, I slow him down every chance I get if I can do so without sacrificing his happiness. But especially in science, that's hard to do. He's starting high school science and algebra this year, and he's a young 9. eek It still freaks me out, honestly.

Oh, I'll add that avoiding pre-packaged curricula seems to help us a lot with the deep and wide. Most of the pre-made stuff I've seen--and naturally, I haven't seen it all--hits things rather perfunctorily. I've had better luck with putting my own "courses" together. FWIW.

Last edited by Kriston; 08/01/10 07:08 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph.

Kriston