Hi Jesse,

I agree with Annalisa that you'll find it's best to follow the natural pace that your child sets. That being said, my husband and I are not personally on board (at this early stage) with the idea of having our boys graduate several years ahead. Not only do we feel that it's important to keep our family home together until they get close to the age of adulthood, but we also think there are many social aspects to those years that are developmentally more important than graduating extremely early and starting their adulthood/careers that much sooner. ((Lots of very-early graduates do extremely well, though, so this is no judgment on other familiies' decisions!!))

It's a struggle, though, because DS1 just turned 6 and is already 2 1/2 - 5+ years ahead, depending on the subject. He is one of those ultra-fast learners, which means that we risk him jumping approximately 2 years further ahead every year (esp. with homeschooling, where you can fit much more into the school day). People keep asking us, "What are you going to do???", and frankly, we have no idea.

What we've decided to do for now is fill his education by studying "out" instead of merely "up." In other words, instead of merely focusing on standards, we're also heavily introducing history, language (latin/spanish this year), geography, more LA focus in the different subcategories, etc. For example, we're doing Story of the World, but take at least a week for each chapter (which he can read in 10 minutes) by reading at least 5-10 of the recommended reading books on each outside subject. We're doing two different curriculums for many subjects (REAL and Apologia for science; EPGY and Rightstart for math) that parallel each other but come from different angles. We're doing an immersion study in each subject, so we thoroughly study a topic in detail with everything we can find on it before moving on to the next chapter.

By homeschooling, we also have more time to let the students run with something. For example, right now my DS1 is writing a "novel" and spends several hours a day on it. When he's like that, I just scratch some of the other things off our list and move them to the following day.

Finally, we're also filling 1 full and 2-half days of our school week with co-op activities. There, we're studying science, fine arts, drama, robotics, geography, PE standards, etc. This leaves us less than 3 full days to do our "regular" work, so I suspect this should slow us down a tad!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2