Originally Posted by jesse
What do you guys think? Do you try to slow down the pace a lot so your child stays approx. the same grade as his/her age peers? If you have an older child, are they working on High School material while in elementary?

Both my kids work ahead of grade level. WAY ahead of grade level in some subjects. It really isn't possible to keep my son at grade level, and even my younger in some areas (still figuring out my youngest). I go deep and wide and I only do "school" for a couple hours a day. They are free to explore and read beyond that on their own. Or they can climb trees and make snowmen. It's their choice after their work is over. So the work they are required and output is age appropriate. The input is at a challenge level for them. I do not try to race through material. If I need it deeper, we get more books, we invent more projects, we go on more field trips. I sign the kids up for extra classes - drama, circus arts, swimming, etc. We take the summer off to do free reading and explore outside.

Music lessons and structuring our days around practice have been great for us too. It's a great place to learn to work with a mentor, move at your own pace, and it's always challenging in one way or another.

One day we'll hit college level material with my oldest. We're hitting high school level stuff with him now at 9 without stretching ourselves. When we get there (dragging my feet), we'll come up with our next plan. We have many options locally to take college level classes.

So, I guess I'm open to all options for the future. But right now, we're all enjoying what we're doing! I'm not planning on sending a child to college to live early at this point.