Having a 2e son in a G&T middle school program, I can tell you two things from my experience (keep in mind he's not AS; he has problems with working memory, auditory processing, executive function and dysgraphia):

1) The G&T teachers are VERY passionate about their work and their students and are far more willing to make accommodations than his regular public school teachers have ever been.

2) It is difficult for a 2e child with EF or writing difficulties to be organized and motivated enough to keep up with accelerated programs, so the parents have to do a LOT to help keep on top of things.

Having said that, I like the G&T program so much (because their teaching style is so perfect for DS12's learning style) that I have fought to keep him in that program and have worked tirelessly to be sure his IEP has the best accommodations possible to help meet his needs...and it's worth it.

I'm inclined to agree with the others here, that it's best to focus on your son's strengths whenever possible. If your son falls in love with the curriculum and content, he's likely to work hard to keep his own weaknesses from getting in his way...especially since he HAS experienced the PS system and knows what the differences are.

As for your fears that your son may have appeared smarter because of his testing methods...I think the way he arrived at the appropriate multiple choice answers is quite brilliant and I suspect it wouldn't matter in the end how he figured them out, because he's one smart cookie either way. smile
I think he'd enjoy the G&T program if he craves learning in the way you've described.

Good luck!

Age-Gap parenting a 2e 12-year-old and an 8-month-old