I'm the father of a PG Aspie, but that doesn't qualify me as an expert, because Aspies seem to differ so much as to their needs and other characteristics. From your description, both these schools sound like extraordinarily good things, but they are certainly not equivalent.

Our experience has been that, since Aspies differ so much, and a PG Aspie is even more uncommon, flexibility on the part of school personnel - willingness to learn, to listen, and to adjust course from time to time - is crucial to success. A school that has a substantial amount of success with Aspies will surely have flexibility in spades. They may or may not also have the resources to serve the intellectual needs of a PG Aspie - no, make that THIS PARTICULAR Aspie.

Based solely on your description, but not knowing your son, I would be inclined to think that G&T would be wondderful for your son IF they're going to bring that kind of flexibility to bear. The fact that the teacher who served as scribe for your son clearly LIKED him counts for a lot in my book too. As a next step, I would go with Grinity's suggestion: meet with the G& T principal to get her/his advice and see if she will work as a partner with you in solving the dilemma. In the process, you'll learn about the principal's flexibility and openness (does the principal claim that they have lots of experience with kids just like your son? that would be a red flag), which will probably be a very reliable indicator of how the school as a whole will be.

Both school commutes sound challenging, especially for a kid who might draw teasing from crowds of other kids who don't know him. When you think you've got a good choice as to which school, but before carving anything in stone, how would it be if you and your son do a trial run together through the commute to school, to confirm that he will be OK with making that trip?

Good luck!