Originally Posted by ultramarina
Because...what I'm hearing is that this class is super low on cues and systems. The teacher does NOT ask for work to be handed in, there are no desks, the seating arrangement is chaotic (and it's easy for her to be missed) and, get this, they are not supposed to take out their planners during the class! So she is orally given assignments and expected to either remember them or write them down later or in, I guess, some other location (her folder?) This is a recipe for disaster. She needs a way to note it.
WT*?

I seriously think making contact with teacher ASAP is in your DD's best interest. I understand you have no formal ADHD dx but it's common knowledge any child with attention issues needs more than auditory reminders about these things.

Beyond that, it's just poor practice--no planners OR assignments written on board? Not that I'd mention *that* to the teacher, probably better to frame it as DD's needs. I don't know what identified mental health issue you're referencing, but you could very appropriately bring up this situation with the teacher (e.g. DD has anxiety, this is causing her distress).

We also implemented the smartphone this year (even though I was philosophically opposed), but in my DC's school, the students are allowed to look at it--just not during class time. This has been helpful for texting reminders to both DC and my (anxious) DD11 uses it to get moral support throughout the day.

I hear you on the watch--DD wouldn't like that, either, although she does wear a FitBit and you can set vibrating alarms on that, as well. She doesn't need that (of course--because life works that way here), but the FitBit is trendy and she likes it. I wouldn't consider a FitBit for forgetful-loses-everything DS, though.

DS uses a Trapper Keeper with an accordion file and that has helped immensely with not losing papers. Still--doesn't address the turn the work in piece.

(As an aside: I don't know why some teachers are so opposed to asking the class for their work, as part of the routine. DS' HS teachers do this, but not his MS teachers. Go figure. Psychologist mentioned yesterday that the gifted teachers probably just expect that the students' EF matches their GAI--a blistering miscalculation in our case).

I woud bet money there are many students who are flailing about in the class you mention. That is just not a good way to support the students' learning and developing organizational skills. smirk